Our team at Veggie-Go’s is all for keeping it happy and healthy during the holidays! With the stress of travel and holiday planning putting wear and tear on our bodies and immune systems, good nourishment is so important. As we all gear up to visit our loved ones this year, we wanted to share some of our tried & true travel tips to keep you at your healthy best:
- Don’t fly hungry! Have a satiating meal before you leave for the airport so there’s no need to worry about finding healthy fare in your terminal.
- Drink plenty of water before your flight, and bring a reusable water bottle to fill up at a water fountain or drinking water tap.
- BYOB! Bring your own beverages. It’s nice to have a little something to sip on in-flight, and most airline drink beverages are pretty sugary or dehydrating. We like to bring our favorite tea bags – simply ask the flight attendant for a cup of hot water, and you’re good to go!
- Prepare with protein. Unexpected delays do happen! Especially if you have food allergies or sensitivities that make it difficult to eat out, some extra protein can hold you over during a skipped meal. We like to bring canned tuna (with easy open seal) or sardines, just in case.
- Stake out the nearest natural foods store to the airport. A great chance to get a little last minute gift for your host or relatives, as well as stock up more healthy snacks for your visit or the flight home!
And don’t forget the healthy snacks – we usually have a bag full:
- Hard boiled eggs (peeled ahead of time)
- Dried Fruit
- Nut butter squeeze packs (Justin’s is our favorite)
- Cut Vegetables
- Nuts or sprouted nuts (these are often easier to digest)
- Kale crackers (Lisa usually mixes together frozen kale with almond meal, seeds, nut butter or tahini, apple cider vinegar and spices of your choice. Crisp in dehydrator or toast in the oven at 250 degrees until your desired texture).
We hope that with a little planning and creativity, you can get from security to your destination gate feeling fueled and energized. Share your healthy travel tips with us in the comments below!